Friday, August 30, 2013

Classical Dubstep?

I love music.  There is always something playing either on my stereo or in my head.  I am a singer (bass), musician (saxophone, bassoon, piano), and very small time composer.  I studied music in college and will one day finish my degree and use it to teach.  For now, I am content listening and practicing privately.

When listening to music, I listen to almost all genres.
I love:

  • Classical
  • Opera
  • Ska
  • Reggae
  • Rock
  • Metal
  • Techno
  • Old country
  • Rap
  • Hip Hop
  • Sub-genres of any listed above.
So when someone tells me "You've got to hear this!" I usually jump on it.

So when I discovered this latest obsession of mine, I almost fell over.

Let's start with a classically trained violinist.  I say, "great start".  Now lets add original compositions by said violinist.  "Getting better."  Now add dubstep into the final mix.  "Okay. I'm interested."  Now let's say the violinist can dance while playing.  "Impressive."  Finally, make the violinist a smoking hot girl that looks a lot like Alyson Hannigan, oh, and a geek as well.  "Winner!"

Introducing Lindsey Stirling.

She comes from my home state of Arizona, USA and is incredibly talented.  After watching just one of her videos, I was hooked, and I was not the only one.  Apparently her video for 'Crystallize', one of her original compositions, was the eighth most watched on Youtube.com last year.  That's right, EIGHTH!  Considering how much crap is uploaded on a daily basis, eighth for the whole year is pretty huge.


Recently, I was turned back on to her because she worked with vocalist Peter Hollens on a Star Wars medley tribute during You tube's Geek Week in early August.
After watching that video, and loving it, I watched another from the suggested videos that Youtube always throws at you.  This one blew my mind because first of all it was a cover of a song that I really am not a fan of and I found it to be amazing now, and second, it was performed with an incredible group I had never heard of, The Pentatonix.  This is a vocal group from Texas, USA that has one soprano female, two tenor males, a bass, and a beat boxing baritone.  Their re-imagined harmonies along with Lindsey's violin and a cello played by the beat boxer made this cover of 'Radioactive' by Imagine Dragons an incredible journey of audible joy.

Between Lindsey and Pentatonix, my week has been filled with music fun.  Pentatonix have a lot of great covers, including one of my favorite songs, 'Somebody That I Used To Know' by Gotye.  Their harmonics and love of music shine in everything they do.

Thank you for sharing this adventure with me and I hope that you enjoyed it.  Please visit the artists' websites and let me know what you think of their work.  Lindsey is at www.lindseystirling.com and Pentatonix are at www.ptxofficial.com.

'Til next time,

Llama Llama

No comments:

Post a Comment